Thursday, September 1, 2011

Quotes I love This Week


I love quotes and I’ve been collecting them for years. I have books dedicated to them, I have post it notes everywhere with them jotted down and I often have them on the edge of my computer screen and on the front of the fridge. With regularity I share them with my Facebook friends and every now and then I learn that someone I know is a quote collector too and I immediately feel a closer connection with them. I never fail to find comfort and inspiration in the written word. The way people choose to express themselves always amazes me and this week has been no different. I’d like to share my favourite quotes of the week today. I’d also like to say that they’re in no particular order but in reality my most favourite one is the last one...I guess maybe it’s been one of those weeks ;-)



“A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.” - Walter Winchell (1897 – 1972), American Journalist

“All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is exclusively my own.” - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 – 1832), German writer, Theoretical physicist, Artist and Biologist

"If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies." - Author Unknown

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world," Jack Layton 1950-2011 Leader of the Official Opposition

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." -William Gibson (1948 - ) American born, now Canadian novelist



Quotes are small things that really add to my life. Some days the right one helps remind me to be grateful, other days I’m given a little extra strength, some days it’s simply just a laugh.  Occasionally I shake my head because I can’t imagine why some people say the things they do and if I’m reading it as a quote then I wonder twofold – why would someone quote it? No matter how I look at it being a quote collector has added to my life, and having said that I think I may start a weekly tradition of sharing them here. 



No comments:

Post a Comment